A twinkle in the eye. A lump in the throat. A goofy grin that tells everybody you pass by that you are having a great day. You know that feeling when you win an award or you finally get something that you’ve been waiting for so long. When you can’t help but want to shout from the rooftops the immense joy that’s bursting from your heart. I wish I had this feeling more often because I think that it is so good and reflects the joy we ought to have in the gospel. I got to experience this for the first time in a very long time this morning, and despite the fact that I have finals that I should be studying for and other work that I should really get done, I have to share this because I cannot help but speak of what God has put on my heart today.
I was walking on campus, letting my mind wander, and it began to go down a path that probably isn’t very good. I began to think about what it would be like to be great. Great as in important, powerful, notable. I began to wonder what it would be like if I had influence and worldly renown. Again not a healthy place to let my mind go because I was not keeping my pride in check and I felt my flesh desiring worldly gain. But that’s when the Holy Spirit came and spoke truth to my soul, and that truth is what I have been resting in today. He reminded me that it doesn’t matter if I have influence and spend time with “important” people because the God of the universe has chosen me and has given me his spirit to live inside of me! The creator of everything that is has chosen to be in me, not because he has to but because he wants to! The most important person ever to exist calls me friend and spends time with me! What in the world could compare to the honor in that? As a believer I can find my boast in the lord! Whoever I become will be great because I choose to follow God’s plan and who he wants me to be!
This reminder filled me up today and made me feel so loved and wanted. Maybe you are in a bad place today. Maybe you are tired, or depressed, or just feeling like you won’t amount to everything you want to. Let me share some truth with you today.
- God knows you intimately. He knew you before the creation of the world and has set out a path for you. (Psalm 139)
- God has chosen you. He loves you and chose you, you are not his child by accident. (Ephesians 1:5)
- God hears you. He wants you to go to him with your struggles and anxieties. (Matthew 7:7, 1 Peter 5:7)
- God dwells inside you. If you are a believer the Holy Spirit lives inside you and is working in and through you. (1 Corinthians 3:16)
- God is working for your good. Even if it doesn’t always feel like it, God is working all things for good for those who love Him. (Romans 8:28)
- You can boast in Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:31)